There’s nothing like mom’s French onion soup.
But, when a craving for crouton-y and Gruyere-filled comfort strikes, this recipe from William Rietzel III, Chef de Cuisine at the Forbes-five star rated COAST restaurant at the Ocean House hotel in Westerly, Rhode Island, won’t disappoint. “French onion soup is a delicious combination of tastes with the soup, gentle spices, bread and cheese,” says Rietzel. “It’s always been a guest favorite on chilly days,” he continues, adding that it’s even featured on the new French-inspired menu at the winter dining series in their enchanting Gondola Village (yes, you can get a luxe French Alps-esque experience in New England).
Featured in the “Ocean House: Living and Cooking Through the Seasons” book, the recipe tastes best when finished in the broiler for that perfect, bubbly top. Get the full recipe below.
Makes 6 servings
Prep time: 1 hour
Cook time: 45 minutes
For the French Onion Soup:
- 2 large onions, sliced into a julienne
- 2 ounces butter
- 4 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon beef base
- 2 quarts beef stock
- Salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon of sherry vinegar
For the croutons:
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 4 ounces butter
- 2 cloves garlic
- 8 slices Gruyere cheese
- Grated Parmesan cheese, to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Directions for the Soup:
- Using a large heavy-bottom pan, caramelize onions in butter until very soft and dark brown.
- Wrap thyme in cheesecloth, secure with butcher’s twine and place in pan with onions.
- Add beef stock and beef base and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Remove thyme sachet and season with salt and sherry vinegar.
- Set the warm soup aside.
Directions for the Croutons:
- Preheat oven to 400 ?F.
- Cut sourdough bread slices into rounds the size of the soup vessel.
- Melt butter with garlic in a small saut? pan.
- Dip one side of sourdough bread rounds in butter and lay butter-side up on a sheet tray.
- Season with salt and pepper, and finish with grated Parmesan cheese.
- Bake in the oven until cheese is golden brown and bread is crisp.
Directions for Plating:
- Preheat the broiler on high.
- Fill the soup crocks with hot soup, leaving about 1/2 inch from the top.
- Place croutons on top and finish with 2 slices of Gruyere cheese.
- Place crocks under the broiler until the cheese turns golden brown and begins to bubble.
This original recipe is owned by Ocean House and was shared with Fox News.